According to the financial results released by Nintendo on August 5th, Nintendo Switch has sold more than 89 million units.
This means that Nintendo Switch has outsold the PlayStation 3 and Xbox One. PlayStation 3 sold 87.4 million units and Xbox One sold 86 million units respectively. This makes Nintendo Switch the seventh best-selling console of all time, just below Nintendo Wii and the original PlayStation, with 101.6 and 102.5 million units sold respectively.
The best selling Switch titles from the fiscal year include:
- New Pokémon Snap: sold more than 2.07 million units since the initial release on April 30, 2021.
- Mario Golf: Super Rush: sold more than 1.34 million units since the initial release on June 25, 2021.
- Miitopia: sold more than 1.04 million units since the initial release on May 21, 2021.
Nintendo notes that the sell-through of first-party titles did not keep up with the same pace with the quarter last year following the release of Animal Crossing: New Horizons which accounted for 40% of first-party software sell-through.
Performance of key titles from previous years include:
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: sold more than 37.08 million copies since the initial release date on April 28, 2017.
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons: sold more than 33.89 million copies since the initial release date on March 20, 2021.
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: sold more than 24.77 million copies since the initial release date on December 7, 2018.
- Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: sold more than 23.2 million copies since the initial release date on March 3, 2017. Here is our full review of the game.
- Pokémon Sword and Shield: sold more than 21.85 million copies since the initial release on November 15, 2019. Here is our full review of the game.
Although Nintendo Switch sales are higher compared to Q1 last year ( 3.35M vs 3.05M), Switch Lite has declined in sales, presumably the main factor behind driving Switch Lite interest at the time was Animal Crossing: New Horizons.
Nintendo is launching the OLED version of Nintendo Switch on October 8, 2021. The OLED version includes several upgrades from the standard Switch model, most notably the inclusion of a LAN port on the docking unit.
Looking ahead, the lineup of Nintendo Switch games announced for this year include WarioWare: Get It Together!, launching on September 10 and Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, launching on November 19.